Thursday 29 December 2016

In film, pt. 1

In the fall of 2014 I picked up a 35mm format camera while attending school in Belleville Ontario. The following spring, I got my hands  on a 120mm Mamiyaflex, which I've taken quite a liking to. Shooting TLR has presented some unique challenges; waiting to get film processed to see the end result is a bit nerve wracking but fun at the same time.

Shooting film has changed the way I shoot photos in general, there is no doubt about it.

Going from digital memory, where you can snap as many photos as you want, to film where each and every shot will cost was a big shift. I've found myself planning more shots instead of just firing away in the hopes of getting something good.

I seem to take a large amount of portraits when shooting film. Maybe it's just that control-ability factor.

After getting an Epson V800 from my amazing girlfriend for Christmas, I have been scanning and editing like crazy the last few days.

This post consists of some of the people (or animals) I have met at various stages in my life. There will be a part 2 of The Life of Bryan In Film, which will consist of the other work I have shot.



 Liam "Beaner"Just, Toronto, Summer 2015. Taken while we were filming Bellevegas in the big city. 
 

Colton Cruson, Regina, Spring 2016. One of the truest g's I met in Regina. 


 I believe this is Dan Brown, from Schreiber, Ontario. Apparently, this is the first photograph anyone has taken of him in 20 years; his last one was a mugshot. I took this one on my drive back to Belleville after completing my internship in the spring of 2015. 


Jonah Melnyk, Quinte West, summer 2015. Taken while filming Jonah's part in Bellevegas.


 A man taking / collecting bottles, spring 2015. Taken in Ladysmith, British Columbia.


 Matt Adams, Northbrook, Ontario, fall 2015. Taken while we went on a random excursion north. Matt dubbed me "The life of Bryan" randomly during my stay in Belleville, it stuck with me and became the title of this blog. 


Scott Seymour, at the stage in Belleville Ontario, Spring 2015. Taken during the filming of That Life 2.0.


Spenser Smith, in Cathedral Grove, Spring 2015. We went to Tofino together to do some shooting, something we've both enjoyed for a long time, and stopped through this ancient forrest. 


For the life of me, I cannot remember this dogs name right now. I'm feeling Myles? He's James Miller, my former editor's dog in the spring of 2015. He never quite took a liking to me until it was time for me to leave. 


Sunny Singh outside of Banff, Alberta at Lake Minnewanaka, in the spring of 2016 during our (temporary) move to British Columbia. 


Sunny Singh (the best!), just outside of Cupar, Saskatchewan in the spring of 2016. The prairies really do make you feel small.


 Torlan Tollers Jumpin' Jack Splash, summer 2016. This dog has too many titles for me to remember. He's also a complete goofball, but he's one of the best dogs ever. 


Zach Taylor, somewhere around the Algonquin Provincial Park in the fall of 2014.



I will now immediately begin to put together my second film related post, consisting of my landscape / nature / scenic shots. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment