Sunday 12 April 2015

An Interview with Jesse Whitehead

Jesse Whitehead was the first dude in Regina who offered to take me out skateboarding so I could try my hand at snapping photos. We became co-workers  and as soon as he told me he loved skating I asked if he'd be down with me shooting.... I'm pretty sure neither of us would have guessed that I would fall in love so quick with skateboarding. 

After shooting photos at the Yorkton skatepark with Jesse, I started hanging around the 306 Hip Hop and Sk8 Shop in Regina with my camera and I met even more cool people who killed it on boards. I was hooked. Skateboarding is simply the best thing to shoot. It's beautiful mind bending, and so many other things to many people. I'm happy I can contribute in any way possible to this amazing world.

A few months shy of three years after I found something that I am truly passionate about, I got a chance to link up with Jesse again in British Columbia, Canada. This is quite a feat; both of us have moved to opposite ends of the country for work, and school respectively. I didn't hesitate to jump on doing an interview while we cruised around Kelowna shooting photos today, and this is the outcome. 



BE: Tell me how you got into skateboarding?

Jesse Whitehead: When I was 13, my cousins Riley and Ashley got skateboards on their trip to Vancouver and they let me use them for a bit, just practising with them... That's where it started. I've wanted one ever since.

BE: You're out in BC now, what brought you out here from Saskatchewan?

Jesse Whitehead: I needed a change. I wasn't down with living in Regina anymore, it felt it was becoming a routine. I didn't want that, so when my roommate offered me the opportunity to drive out here I was fully on board. I took it and didn't look back. 



Jesse Whitehead // Frontside Feeble // Kelowna, British Columbia,  2015


BE: Tell me about your living situation, I know it's a little unique

Jesse Whitehead: Yeah! I live about 25 minutes outside of Vernon, BC on the Okanagan Indian Reserve. I live in a log cabin right by the lake. Its in a bit of rough shape right now. The yard is huge, I'm thinking of making a mini ramp once I get some fence up and level off some ground. 

BE: What's your favourite thing about skating in BC as opposed to Saskatchewan?

JW: I love how there's a lot of skateparks, there's tons of places to skate in the province. Any small town has either a park or at least one good spot. It's mind-blowing in comparison to Saskatchewan where there isn't a lot. You have to get really creative back there. Here, everywhere, is like unbelievable. 


Jesse Whitehead // Backside Tailslide // Kelowna, British Columbia, 2015


BE: So you like to travel around lots, what's your favourite park you've been to here? 

JW: Kamloops is my favourite park for sure. I haven't been to Vancouver Skate Plaza yet though, it's got quite the reputation. 

BE: 9 years after you started, what is it that keeps you out and skateboarding?

JW: Purely passion, man. I love skateboarding. I can't explain it, theres just something in my blood. I wake up everyday and look up skate clips to get me hyped and get through the day, then I watch more goddamn skate videos before I go out to skate. I literally have no hobbies other than skateboarding, I love it.



Sometimes ya just need a quick break. This was the make or break moment at this spot. To keep battling or to move on?

BE: You told me that you were told to hand some clips to West49 in Regina, tell me a bit more about that!

JW: I was yeah, I had told Jake (Duquette) to put some clips together for me to see what would happen, then out of nowhere the opportunity to come out here came up. Even though I loved my job and it would be cool to stay around and become like a hometown hero, I just needed the change. So even a sponsorship couldn't keep me around, I just needed that change. I still feel young enough where I could still get one. Not out to be like Nyjah Huston, my goal would be to get a mag photo, like TPR just did. I'm working for it, I won't give up. 


Jesse Whitehead // Kickflip to hill bomb // Kelowna, British Columbia, 2015 

2 comments:

  1. fuck yeah Jesse, hella missin you mang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on little cuz! So inspiring. Keep doing what you're doing with a great mindset <3

    ReplyDelete